1. I just launched a tumblr site go check it out. http://yesthebatmandigsthisday.tumblr.com/ The name comes from this panel. Because I’m a dork.
2. I watched the first episode of Game of Thrones. Fantasy really has a hard time hitting the target for me and this was no exception. I found dry and stupidly formal like I find most of the genre but with occasional nudity and cursing among the attractive elite vying to be the top asshole who wants to fuck over the poor. Example of something from the genre that works for me: Orc Stain. Uses the tropes of the genre and adds the cursing and fucking without taking the piss out of the whole thing but I guess the removal of the class aspect of it might help bring it home for me as well as, of course, the amazing James Stokoe art a.k.a. the coolest van art ever.
3. The new Okkervil River album I Am Very Far is the band’s most cohesive album (in a catalogue of amazingly cohesive albums) and of course their most mature and dark album. The acoustic, folksy element is almost entirely absent replaced with properly placed symphonic strings and just all around well done but not overly done production value. Honestly, there was very little chance this wasn’t gonna hit the mark with me.
4. I’ve been watching the first season of 30 Rock on Netflix which I didn’t see initially. It’s pretty awkward the first 5 or 6 episodes but quickly becomes the show it’s going to become after that. That said, this last season of 30 Rock never really found its footing or an engaging subplot to get it across and the loss of Tracy Morgan in the middle (for real life medical reasons) did some damage.
5. Parks and Recreation however continues to rise in quality each episode this season was as good or better as the episode preceding it and really deserves a higher viewership because it really might be the best thing on the NBC lineup, just for anything that Ron Swanson does on that show alone.
6. Raise High the Roofbeam, Carpenters by Salinger was good as one would expect but I couldn’t really find the through line here just what it was that was trying to be said outside of the text and goddamnit that’s just probably my fault.
7. My want to read Chester Brown’s Paying for It has been waning for a while and now I don’t even wanna read it. This humanist take on it helped pretty much seal that deal. Seriously, sack up and ask a girl on a date.
8. I added some stuff to previous blog posts, updates on the ideas of the things there. I don’t know if writing entirely new posts for these ideas or editing old posts to reflect is more right on here. I don’t know what my blogsponsibility here is but shit, I don’t get paid for this.
9. I’ve landed on stupid for the Green Lantern movie. It really will be like Geoff Johns’ Green Lantern comics i.e. people talking only in thematic resonance or other wise screaming stupid shit at each other while shit glows. I’ve been reading that first Green Lantern Showcase and dudes, Green Lantern is just lame. It doesn’t make any fucking sense.
10. Finally got caught up on The Venture Bros. and the second half of season 4 was much stronger than the first half which I thought was weaker. It’s weird that the more insular the show becomes the funnier it gets as it riffs jokes on its own continuity. Also, they have a Spider-Man that smokes and shoots asswebs.
-Daniel Von Egidy, 2011